* at a government, or
* registered non-government school
unless they are receiving approved
* home tuition,
* correspondence education, or
* have been granted an exemption by the Regional Director.
* children required to attend school do so regularly, and
* without unnecessary or frivolous absences.
* students miss important stages causing them to find ‘catching up’ difficult.
* absenteeism contributes significantly to student failure at school.
* Illness is reasonable excuse for an absence.
* ensure that their children attend school regularly, and are only absent if ill or if absolutely necessary.
* provide a written note or return a completed absence form (See Form 1 below) explaining why an absence has occurred.
* ensure that attendance records are maintained and monitored.
* ensure that unexplained absences are investigated, and that high levels of absenteeism areadequately explained.